|Click to enlarge|
I created a blank pedigree chart in Excel which I uploaded to Google Docs. You can download it, edit it, create a screenshot from it, and post it to Facebook or your own blog. Here are the instructions:
1) Go to Google Docs to view the blank template.
2) Once the template is loaded, click on File, choose Download As, then choose Microsoft Excel (.xlsx).
3) Use Microsoft Excel to open the template after it is downloaded to your computer. If you don't have Excel, you can do several things:
- You can sign into (or create and the sign into) your own Google Account, and then use Google Docs to upload the template you just downloaded.
- You can use a free spreadsheet program, like OpenOffice's Calc.
4) In Excel (or your spreadsheet program) use the bucket tool to fill each cell with your color choice, then edit the text.
5) Go to the View tab and uncheck Headings, Formula Bar, and Gridlines to make full use of your screen.
6) If you need to zoom out a little to capture the whole image in your screenshot, go to View, Zoom, and reduce the size (I used Custom to reduce to 80% on my laptop).
7) Hold down your FN (function) key and your PRTSC (PrintScreen) key to create a screen shot. Paste the image into Paint or any photo editing program on your computer and save as a .jpg or .png file.
8) Upload to Facebook or your blog.
9) Some ideas to use:
- Color the cells according the the state, provincial, or national flag colors of where the person was born.
- Make a chart to show where your ancestors died.
- Make a chart to show the causes of death for your ancestors (good medical info!).