Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tallies for 12 August 2008

Last night I was so tired, I went to bed early without listing my tallies. It was a busy day; much of my energy was spent enjoying a get together at a co-worker's home for a good-bye party for a teacher friend who is moving to Connecticut. Of course, most of us haven't seen each other since mid-June so it was nice to catch up on all the gossip news.

I did, however, work on two new areas and did more work on a task I've already completed.

2. Back Up Your Data!
A. Prepare a comprehensive backup plan for your digital research files and a security plan for your hard copies and photos
I did some serious thinking about this and extended it to how I need to write a plan for which family members get which documents and photos in the event of my death, as well as publishing a family history for each of my major lines. I'm reminded of how just a few months ago, our society was contacted by the son of a woman who had spent her whole life researching and had made no plans for where the materials would go. Most of what she had were photocopies from genealogical books, so they could not be sold or used in our library's genealogical collection. They, along with folders full of family group sheets, were placed out on tables for our members to go through and take if they wished. To our knowledge, the woman had never published a family history, which ultimately, should be the goal of our research. It doesn't do our families any good if our research sits in a database or in file folders. It needs to be made into something comprehensible which can be enjoyed and shared with others.

Summary: I haven't written down the plan, yet, but I am working on it.


4. Write, Write, Write!
C. Prepare several posts in draft mode (if possible with your blog platform) and pre-publish.
I began a new series that I will publish next week, using the Schedule feature of Blogger.


5. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness!
B. Join another genea-blogger’s blog network on Facebook Blog Networks.
Although I've already completed this task this week, I continued to add new friends from the Genea-Bloggers Group, and once they had confirmed, checked their information to see if they had a blog that I could add to my Google Reader and/or had been listed with Facebook Blog Networks so I could join. Last I checked, we had 129 members of the group, and it seems to be growing daily!
--------------
My total medals earned during the Games as of today:
1. Platinum
2. ---
3. Silver
4. Silver
5. Silver

No comments: