Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Michigan Genealogy

Over a year ago, I wrote a post titled "Recommended Reading for Michigan Research" and I mentioned the following book:


Whenever you do research for a certain location, it's vital that you understand how records were gathered, when record-keeping began, and where the records are now archived. Unless you know this, you will be stumped as to why your ancestors may be missing on key records, or where to find them. Although I had been extensively researching in Michigan vital, cemetery, and census records for over ten years, including using resources such as Ancestry's Red Book and FamilySearch's Research Guide for Michigan, it wasn't until I read this book that I began to comprehend why I was hitting brick walls. Using this resource has helped me find alternative records and discover more about my ancestry that I would not have otherwise been able to do.

If you have ancestors from Michigan, you must have this book in your home library...AND it's on sale (26% off!) until 11:59 PM, EDT, Monday, June 30.

2 comments:

Jasia said...

OK. You've convinced me. I ordered it :-)

Miriam Robbins said...

Thanks, Jasia! I know you won't regret it. My copy has permanent post-it notes and tons of highlighting; it's getting rather dog-eared. It's like having the Michigan chapter of Ancestry's Red Book expanded into 416 pages (not including 48 pages of notes and sources). I thumbed through it again just now and came across the section on the state census and remembered why I could never find census records for some of my counties (there are pages of tables showing what federal and state censuses exist for each county).