Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The 32nd Carnival of Genealogy is Posted!

Susan Kitchens of Family Oral History Using Digital Tools is the host of the 32nd Carnival of Genealogy. The topic? "Family Stories of Wartime," in honor of Ken Burns' new documentary series, "The War," coming to PBS on Sunday, September 23rd.

To simplify things in my busy life, I submitted an older post, "A Polar Bear in North Russia," which is the beginning of a series of my great-grandfather's service in the U.S. Army at the end of World War One. It is inspired by three CDs' worth of scanned images from a family scrapbook, which were recently sent to me by my aunt.

As usual, there are a variety of interesting and informative posts that were submitted for the Carnival, and I encourage you to head to Susan's blog to start reading. The Carnival is also a great way to "meet" other genea-bloggers and discover great new blogs to add to your feed reader!

2 comments:

Terry Thornton said...

Miriam, I have read your "Polar Bear in North Russia" with great interest [what a treasure trove of of materials from your aunt!]. This ANREF is one of those WWI era bits of history that has been sadly overlooked in my reading. Is the eBook at Project Gutenberg, The History of the American Expedition Fighting the Bolsheviki by Lewis E. Jahns about the same unit? If so, that eBook is full of official photographs that may also help you tremendously. Here is a link: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/22523

I thoroughly enjoyed your "Polar Bear" and feel that I've learned so much about both diplomatic and military history as a result of your post. Thanks!

Terry Thornton
HILL COUNTRY OF MONROE COUNTY, MISSISSIPPI

Miriam Robbins said...

Hi, Terry,

Yes, the book you mention is indeed written about the ANREF in North Russia. There were also "Polar Bears" in Siberia as well during this time.

Thanks for the link to this eBook! I will include it in my list of resources on further reading on this subject in my last post of this series...which will be written down the road a ways, as I still have much to share.

Thank you for your kind comments.